Subject: [IAU 174 abstract 11 ]

From: iau174
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 22:45:09 JST

>From [email-masked]  Thu Aug 10 22:43:47 1995
Sender: [email-masked] (Gordon Drukier)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:34:33 +0100 (BST)
From: "G. Drukier" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: abstract

This is the abstract for my poster "On the retention of Globular Cluster 
Neutron Stars"

Fokker-Planck models are used to give estimates for the retention
fractions for newly-born neutron stars in globular clusters as a
function of kick velocity. These can be used to calculate the present
day numbers of neutron stars in globular clusters and in addressing
questions such as the origin of millisecond pulsars.  As an example,
the Population I kick velocity distribution of Lyne & Lorimer (1994)
is used to estimate the retained fractions of neutron
stars originating as single stars and in binary systems. For plausible
initial conditions fewer than 4% of single neutron stars are
retained.  The retention fractions from binary systems can be 2 to 5
times higher.  The dominant source of retained neutron stars is found
to be through binary systems which remain bound after the first
supernova, ie. high-mass X-ray binaries. The retained fraction
decreases with a flatter initial mass function, but the retention
fraction decreases more slowly than the number of progenitors
increases. On balance, more progenitors give more neutron stars in the
cluster.

I look forward to seeing you in Tokyo.

Gordon Drukier